March 9th to 17th
The Aquatarium is seeking high-energy enthusiastic volunteers to help us bring some Mermaid Magic all March Break long!
A Unique Volunteer Experience
Be part of all the action and see fantasy come alive!
Working with our amazing team of Mermaids and welcoming thousands of guests from far and wide is a truly unforgettable experience! Mermaids week only comes around once a year and you can’t find an event like this anywhere else!
Spread some Mermaid magic
Our team works all year round to put on this amazing event but it is our volunteers and staff that make the magic happen!
- Help with Mermaid Meetups
- Run crafts and activities
- Welcome and direct guests around the facility
- Reset and monitor our exhibits
This opportunity is perfect for:
- High school students looking to earn volunteer hours, build their resumes, and who want to be part of all the action!
- Community members who are interested in being part of this very exciting event.
- Someone outgoing, enthusiastic, and who enjoys working with children and families.
- Anyone with a desire to help create a fantastic experience for guests.
Tell me more
To be part of the Aquatarium Volunteer Program:
- Volunteers must be 14 years of age and up
- Police Record Checks are required for volunteers 18 years and up
- Parental consent forms are required for volunteers under 18 years old
- All staff and volunteers must be Covid vaccinated with at least 2 doses
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have a desire to help create a fantastic experience for guests and help create the magic of the week.
- Are comfortable with and enjoy working with children.
- Are comfortable speaking with guests (greeting them, giving simple directions, sharing information, ect.)
Please also note that…
- Volunteers will occasionally be in large crowds or groups and loud areas.
- Volunteers will be on their feet (standing, walking around, ect) for the majority of the day.
- Volunteers will need to maintain a standard of professionalism and appropriateness at all times.
Some examples of potential tasks are:
- Helping direct people into lines for Mermaid Meetups
- Greeting people as they enter the facility
- Giving directions and helping the flow of visitors
- Facilitating children’s activities (colouring, temporary tattoos, photobooths, ect)
- Maintaining our exhibits by tidying and cleaning
- Circulating the floor to answer questions
- Manning doors during presentations
- Monitoring play areas
This is a very large event and we rely on volunteers to give guests more points of contact for assistance and to help maintain the flow and function of the facility. Different stations will be decided on an as needed basis and each day volunteers will rotate between different positions.
Being part of the Aquatarium Volunteer Team means that you will:
- Be surrounded by cute critters
- Meet people from all over the world
- Have the chance to indulge your own curiosity
- Share your passion for the 1000 Islands and St. Lawrence Region
- Be joining a community of fellow staff and volunteers.
Our volunteer program can also offer great work experience to students looking to build their resumes.
After committing 10 hours, you will receive ongoing benefits throughout the rest of your time with the Volunteer Program.
- Free admission with guests (friends and family)
- Excluding March Break
- 25% off AQ gift shop
- 25% off AQ experiences
- Excluding March Break
- 25% off Camp Bookings
- Access to the Ontario Attractions Reciprocal Program
Earn your volunteer hours all in one week, choose your own schedule, and spend your March Break doing something unique and exciting!
Choose the days you want to volunteer and commit anywhere from 3-8 days to easily earn 21-56 volunteer hours all in one week!
Gain work experience!
- Customer service skills
- Working with children and families
- Running crafts and activities
- Working a large-scale event
- Time management, responsibility and so much more
Hours earned throughout the week will be tracked and can be signed off on to be submitted for High School Volunteer Requirements.
Join Our Team!
Click below to submit your application and join our Mermaids Volunteer Team! The deadline to apply is February 26th.
Frequently Asked Questions
- We will need volunteers everyday from Saturday March 9th to Sunday March 17th.
- You will be able to sign up for the days you want to volunteer. This will become available one week in advance of the event.
- Each day you will be assigned to a schedule to follow with the locations you will be working/jobs you will be doing and what time your break will be at.
Each day will be from 9:30am-5:30pm with a 1 hour break for lunch.
- Some exceptions on hours can be made, but will be decided on a case by case basis
- We ask that each volunteer commit to a minimum of 3 days throughout the week. A volunteer may choose to volunteer more though.
- Volunteers may not sign up for more than 5 consecutive days.
- The max amount of days available will be 8 (out of 9). We recommend volunteers do 4-7 days.
- The shifts will become available to sign up for one week out from the start of the event, after all volunteers have had their initial meetings.
Yes! All hours committed by volunteers will be tracked and can be signed off on to meet volunteer requirements.
How many hours you earn is up to you! Each day will earn you 7 hours of volunteering.
Yes, we encourage friends to participate together and volunteers may choose to sign up for days with their friends, however, working always at the same station or taking breaks at the same time is not guaranteed.
We want volunteering to be a fun and enjoyable experience however it must be understood that volunteers are brought on for the purpose of supporting the Aquatarium.
Yes! Our volunteer program is open to all! The Aquatarium will take reasonable steps to ensure accommodations in accordance with provincial legislation for any volunteers with temporary or permanent disabilities. The program coordinator will work closely with volunteers to explore solutions for reasonable accommodation when a volunteer faces a barrier to access participation as a result of a disability.
The Aquatarium is a wheelchair and mobility aid accessible facility.
If you are interested in volunteering please apply by clicking the button. Once we receive your application we will reach out to you with the next steps:
Volunteers will be asked to select an “Initial Meeting” from a provided list of dates. On the selected date applicants will come to the Aquatarium to get a brief walk-around the facility and information about what to expect as a Mermaids Week Volunteer. This is an opportunity to meet with the Program Coordinator and see if this position will be a good fit. On this day you will then receive your Volunteer Paperwork and Volunteer Handbook.
Paperwork will include police check/parental consent forms, emergency information, agreements and release forms, ect. The documents should be reviewed and then submitted via email or brought to your Orientation.
Applications will only be accepted up to February 26th.
In order to ensure that all volunteers receive the appropriate information and due to the nature of the event having little time for training during the week, there are two training sessions that volunteers must attend prior to the start of the March Break.
- Orientation session: This is our general volunteer information session and covers our policies, procedures, and general Aquatarium Info. This is a two hour session and includes a full tour of the Aquatarium.
Volunteers may choose one of the following Orientations: Sunday, February 25th 1:00pm-3:00pm, Monday, February 26th 3:00pm – 5:00pm; Wednesday, February 28th 3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Mermaid Meeting: This will be a session held on March 7th 3:00pm – 5:30pm for both our staff and volunteers. This training session will cover all the specifics of the week. There is only one day for this meeting and it is required to attend (extenuating circumstances may allow for exemption but will be taken on a case by case basis). Please plan accordingly.
Yes! You will not have to reapply or go through training again if you wish to continue to volunteer throughout the rest of the year or in the summer. Please speak to the program coordinator at the end of the week for more information.
Please reach out if you have any questions about your application or the Volunteer Program, give us a call or send us an email!
613-342-5678 x 7007